Sunday, September 19, 2010

Generation WHY???

I have a niggling gripe and I just have to get it off my chest. I've been seeing an increasing number of comments on profiles that they look something like this:

"naw she dun crossed da line tellin me nt ta talk ta her again cuz my dude wanteda chew so i sat by a girl tht likes me but i dnt like her so she was like yea dont talk to me again so fuck her omg she pisses me off... idk i needa girl ovr 18 tht has a life ya kno? lol... i hope we cn kick it soon where u livin at?"

(this is an actual copy and paste quote--really!)

At first I thought I'd stumbled onto a special section of Facebook. The section where they lick the screen and wear helmets to prevent injuries while surfing the net. Then I realized these posters know how to read and write and spell, but were writing this way on purpose. For what purpose, I'm not sure, but just the fact that's it's intentional blows my mind.

I am, admittedly, part of the 'older generation' on the mostly gen-Y ruled corner of the Net-iverse, and I fully understand our generation had our own little quirks we thought made us 'the shit' during our youth. Blue eyeshadow, for instance. Leg-warmers. Swatches. Neon sweatshirts. Jelly bracelets. Soda-pop shoes. We were hot! We even had our own ultra-rad terms. Gnarly. Speds. Cool beans. Butt-nugget.

Oh, yeah. We thought we were 'all that and a bag of chips.'

But I don't understand this new fad of purposefully misspelling words and presenting yourself as if your IQ is a full 70 points lower than it actually is. Allegedly. It's hard to tell, really.

The abbreviations are a little cool. BFF. WTF. TTYL. They have a nice little ring. But why is kewl so much better than cool? It's the same amount of letters, and takes the same amount of effort to write. Why ta instead of to? Neededa vs. needed a. It's crossed the line from trend-setting to just plain stupid. It's suddenly fashionable to appear uneducated and moronic.

I was wondering why teens and young adults of today don't have jobs anymore. I thought it was due to being spoiled. Silly me--they're simply unemployable because they like to be perceived as idiots. Every generation leaves it's mark and this is apparently Gen-Y's mark on the world. Misspelled words and baggy pants.

The worst part is that this is the generation that will be running the world when I'm in a nursing home drooling from my top and leaking from my bottom. And the drooling and leaking is the least scary part! I'm more concerned that my diaper will be applied and fastened half-way down my thighs and I'll have to rap for my medicine:

'yo-yo-yo! yo kno i'm old. I pee my pants don' do wat i'm told. my liva is failin. my body is ailin. my room mate lays aroun screamin an wailin.

this ain no palice, yu treat me wit malice, but befo my heart explodes could ya give me digitalis?'

Beautiful! It's what we all wish for our golden years! Gangsta-granny here I come.

Now, where to order my denture-grill...?

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya, I mean, you.

    It drives me crazy as well. I don't necessarily see this in blogger land. However, I see it all the time on Facebook. It is yet another thing that annoys the hell out of me about that social networking site.

    ReplyDelete